Friday, August 20, 2010

Linkorama 20/8/10

THE VIRTUE OF WASTING TIME: Yesterday, we did not have a major surgery for the first time in many weeks. So I got to come home early and spend the afternoon relaxing!! I really enjoyed the time off although things got busy again in the evening. And just when I was beginning to feel guilty about the 'wasted' time, I read a blog post on 'The virtue of wasting time' (!!) A quote 'Indeed, we have surely lost the virtue that is laziness. As Kierkegaard once said, 'Far from idleness being the root of all evil, it is rather the only true good' -- a truly amazing theological insight. Some may think that that maybe going a bit far, but compared to the idea that the essence of humanity is busy-ness, it is much to be preferred.' Of course, this would be a luxury in our line of work, but it was good to enjoy an afternoon off after a long time!!

BIBLE STUDY PLAN: I have been reading through the epistles and have fallen far behind my planned schedule (what's new!!) So yesterday one of the things I did during my time off was to catch up and read through Ephesians. I was struck by the clear and succinct presentation of an ideal Christian life. It sounds so exciting and doable when Paul writes it - wonder what happens to me every day when I try to live it.... Daily Bible study is an area where after so many years, I still struggle to find a routine. When I read some of the Bible study plans of the saints of God, I wonder how that sort of intensive study of the Bible is even possible, within the time-frame that is available to us. One of the most extensive study plans is the Professor Grant Horner's Bible reading system in which you read 10 chapters a day (that's right - 10 chapters!! And I struggle with 1 a day!!) There are 10 different lists from which a chapter each is read every day. As the daily readings in each list are of different lengths, you will never read the same passages together again during the year. The passages interact with each other and bring new insights every time. And supposedly, once you get used to the passages, daily reading only takes about 40 mintues. And here's the best part. In the year you read through all the Gospels four times, the Pentateuch twice, Paul’s letters 4-5 times each, the Old Testament wisdom literature six times, all the Psalms at least twice, all the Proverbs as well as Acts a dozen times, and all the way through the Old Testament History and Prophetic books about 1 and a half times! It can be downloaded here. Wish I could download the Bible directly into my head, so I could access it at will without all this effort..... (HT: Challies)

STEAK ON A PAPER PLATE: Came across this post on similar lines to some of the things I said on the Shillong Praise Festival. I quote, 'Christians need to sense the weight of God’s glory, the truths of God’s Word, the reality of coming judgment, and the gloriousness of God’s grace. Trying to package the bigness of this God into most casual worship services is like trying to eat steak on a paper plate. You can do it for awhile, but at some point, people will start saying, - I want a dish.' Read the article for more. (HT: Z)

MORE STUFF ON HEALTHY FOOD: As a follow up to the chart on soft drinks. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment