Monday, September 13, 2010

Linkorama 13/9/10

UPDATE FROM JOHN PIPER: Here is an update from John Piper on his progress on the three areas he is focusing on during his vacation. And this is the post which gives his reasons for seeking this break. He says something which reminded me of Francis Chan - I see several species of pride in my soul that, while they may not rise to the level of disqualifying me for ministry, grieve me, and have taken a toll on my relationship with Noël and others who are dear to me. May God make these eight months the best Bethlehem has ever known. It would be just like God to do the greatest things when I am not there. “Neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God who gives the growth”( 1 Corinthians 3:7)

FUNDING FOR STEM CELL RESEARCH BACK ON TRACK: The temporary injunction against federal funding for embryonic stem cell research has been suspended by an appeals court in the US and as always there are the usual reactions from either side. This report has the story.

TEENAGER REPELLANT: Do teenagers spoil your idea of peace in the neighborhood. Consider installing 'The Mosquito', a device that emits high pitched sounds audible only to young ears and so irritating that they move on in double-quick time. My question is, will they now invent a repellant for older people in places that teenagers want to keep pest-free!! (HT: Pradeep)

THE BIBLE ACCORDING TO CHILDREN: My mother sent me this article detailing a book report on the entire Bible purportedly written by a child. Some interesting snippets -

In the beginning, which occurred near the start, there was nothing but God,darkness, and some gas. The Bible says,'The Lord thy God is one, but I think He must be a lot older than that. Anyway, God said, 'Give me a light!' and someone did....

After Joshua came David. He got to be king by killing a giant with a slingshot. He had a son named Solomon who had about 300 wives and 500 porcupines. My teacher says he was wise, but that doesn't sound very wise to me.....

After Solomon there were a bunch of major league prophets. One of these was Jonah, who was swallowed by a big whale and then barfed up on the shore. There were also some minor league prophets, but I guess we don't have to worry about them.....

Jesus is the star of The New. He was born in Bethlehem in a barn. (I wish I had been born in a barn too, because my mom is always saying to me, 'Close the door! Were you born in a barn?' It would be nice to say, 'As a matter of fact, I was.')......

Jesus also had twelve opossums. The worst one was Judas Asparagus. Judas was so evil that they named a terrible vegetable after him. Jesus was a great man. He healed many leopards and even preached to some Germans on the Mount....

Anyways, Jesus died for our sins, then came back to life again. He went up to Heaven but will be back at the end of the Aluminum. His return is foretold in the book of Revolution.

No comments:

Post a Comment