Saturday, January 1, 2011

1/1/11

A Happy and Blessed New Year to all of you. I really enjoyed writing 1/1/11 on all the charts of my patients on rounds today - call me superstitious, but something about the similar numbers in a date really excites me. And this year we'll also have 11/11/11!

Making New Year resolutions is not something I usually do, but this year I thought seriously about resolving to blog every day. Fortunately for my peace of mind, I only thought about it!! I nearly missed putting up a post even today thanks to all the friendly neighbourhood drunks who kept me in the operation theatre for most of last night and today putting them back together! It amazes me that so many people spend their New Year's Eve in a dedicated effort to take leave of their senses! And even more amazing is the number who then proceed to fall off their motorcycles or get on the wrong end of a knife! Even in Jharkhand I did not see so many stab injuries in one day. It is sometimes difficult to produce the required amount of empathy that is essential in a doctor-patient relationship when your holiday has been ruined by your patients' foolishness! Amy was the on-call doctor in the Emergency and that was a blessing as she was able to handle most of the minor injuries herself. When we had a moment together, she regaled me with some of the extremely interesting and varied ways the different men and women (yes, there were ladies too!) had contrived to injure themselves in their 'spiritual' fervour! But anyway, by the grace of the good Lord, the day is over and all the patients seem to have survived the deadly assaults they perpetrated on their bodies.

At the end of 2010, I am rather too tired to post some sentimental/philosophical stuff about looking back and looking forward! So here are a few interesting links that will have to suffice. God bless us all in this New Year - may the world become a better place by our small and big involvements.

THE LAST DECADE IN PICTURES: A series of pictures from LIFE magazine which encapsulate some of the important events of the last decade. (HT: Challies)

BIBLE READING PLAN: Though I am not one for resolutions (mainly because I invariably never keep them!), this year I have decided to follow a Bible reading plan. This post by Justin Taylor lists a number of good ones. I won't tell you yet which one I have settled on - maybe sometime later in the year if I manage to keep at it!

FOUR-FOLD FRANCISCAN BLESSING:
May God bless you with a restless discomfort about easy answers, half-truths and superficial relationships, so that you may seek truth boldly and love deep within your heart.
May God bless you with holy anger at injustice, oppression, and exploitation of people, so that you may tirelessly work for justice, freedom, and peace among all people.
May God bless you with the gift of tears to shed with those who suffer from pain, rejection, starvation, or the loss of all that they cherish, so that you may reach out your hand to comfort them and transform their pain into joy.
May God bless you with enough foolishness to believe that you really CAN make a difference in this world, so that you are able, with God's grace, to do what others claim cannot be done.
And the blessing of God the Supreme Majesty and our Creator,
Jesus Christ the Incarnate Word who is our brother and Saviour,
and the Holy Spirit, our Advocate and Guide,
be with you and remain with you, this day and forevermore.
AMEN
(HT: 24RR)

A LITTLE BOY'S LAST CHRISTMAS: A moving song about a true story of a town whose residents got together to give a little boy dying of leukemia a special, early Christmas. (HT: Z)

1 comment:

  1. The video on the Last Christmas brought a lump to my throat. We pray for the family that fought so hard to give their child his last Christmas.
    Sudha

    ReplyDelete