Friday, January 28, 2011

The journey of a blog post

Heeding some advice I have received, I will desist from my usual, heavy, pessimistic stuff today! Also, it's rather late and I am rather tired and so something lighter will have to do (using rather twice in the same sentence is an indication of my state of mind!). I have been thinking of writing the story of a blog post for some time now, so here goes! It is, surprisingly, not so straightforward as it seems. The first problem is the eternal question - what should I write about?!! Surprising as it may sound, thinking of something at least somewhat original every few days is not exactly a piece of cake. I seriously applaud the daily bloggers who manage to maintain the standard as well as focus of their blogs. As you can see, mine ranges far and wide!! Mainly because I just start writing on the first thing that pops into my head and keep going from there (before any of you alert readers think I am contradicting myself, this post is an exception!!). I remember thinking when I began writing that I would never run out as there was so much in the universe to write about, now I am wondering where it has all disappeared!

Once the topic has taken shape in the mind, moving it onto the screen is the next step. This is easier said than done as there are many hurdles that contrive to obstruct smooth progress of the idea from brain to bytes. The first is the cold. Blogging in Shillong in the winter is not a very pleasant thing. As, in order to do it, one has to get out from under the covers. Here I must make a rather shamefaced confession. Our normal routine after coming back from work (whatever the time is) is to change as quickly as possible and then dive under the blankets in the bedroom. The house is really too cold to do anything else. Once under, it just seems wrong to get out into the cold again. The only reason to leave after that is to get dinner (which we have found is tastiest when eaten in bed!!). The unfortunate person whose turn it is to get it, invariably postpones this terrible event for as long as possible, leading to situations when the fear of the cold manages to overcome the pangs of hunger and we 'fast' for the night! And to make matters more interesting, our microwave has decided to give up the ghost meaning that food from the fridge can never be part of our evening menu! The end result of our routine is that our bed has come to represent a warm island in the sea of cold around us. As a result of which we have adjusted most of our activities of daily living to revolve around the bed! There are 2 bedside tables overflowing with books, medicines, snacks, empty plates and an assortment of other things whose purpose I am yet to fathom.

But I digress. When the cold set in, I realised that getting out from under the covers to blog was not compatible with a happy life and so we now have a chair next to the bed which holds the computer. Which has made things easier. But on the coldest days, it is still difficult to begin to write as this eventually involves raising at least the upper half of your body out of the blankets. And as I mentioned this is not exactly compatible with a happy life!

The next step of the blog post writing is the mood adjustment. Often a post will be halfway through before I realise that my mood is not conducive to writing on the particular topic. Many are the times I have read what I have written, wondered who would ever consider even glancing through such unmitigated nonsense and in a fit of fury delete the whole thing. (This is in grave danger of happening to this post as well!!) And if the thoughts stop flowing, it's time to quit. For once I am stuck, however long I ruminate and cogitate, it is unlikely I will ever be able to continue - such are the vagaries of my mind. Many are the unfinished posts languishing in the 'post graveyard' that is my dashboard.

Once the cold has been taken care of and the mind freed of encumberances, the next obstacle to successful blog writing emerges. Web distractions. Mail before posts is a prioritisation I have maintained ever since I started, mainly to see which posts (if any) have comments!! And being a regular reader of a few other blogs, there is always the temptation to have a quick look and see what's going on out there. Of course, it's never a quick look! And as happened today, a perfectly good idea for a post will have to be postponed in favour of some pure gas like this, due to the lateness of the hour caused by unmonitored browsing.

The next step is usually the easiest - typing out the post. This does not take too long. But as soon as the typing is over comes the inevitable feeling of inadequacy. This can't be good enough.... Who'd want to read this..... It is then that I turn in desperation to my wife, who by now is always fast asleep (blest as we are with two exactly opposite routines - she is ready for bed just when I enter my most productive hours!). Waking her from sleep sounds cruel, but at that point of time, is a total necessity. I could not dream of publishing the post without her approval. And neither will my intense nature allow me to postpone publishing till the morrow. So with tender endearments I proceed to arouse the sleeping beauty. It is a measure of my sweetheart's immense patience and forbearance and (hopefully) her love for me that I have been allowed to continue this routine for nearly 6 months without being thrown out of house and home!!

Once approval is granted (though sometimes she cannot even remember the topic in the morning!) comes the struggle to publish. Being blessed with a homozygous dominant perfection gene, the number of revisions for each post can range from 2 to 22 or even more depending on the lateness of the hour. With each proof reading new errors crop up and I feel unfulfilled until I have everything down to a T. It is usually during this time that the internet plays up as well and makes publishing a long, drawn-out and irritating affair. I have sometimes had to postpone publishing a post to the morrow for fear that in my tiredness and irritability at the unhelpful and unkind internet, I will waste a good topic with some bad writing or editing.

But finally, the post is done. It goes up on the page and the wait begins for a comment. But, as most of you bloggers out there know, the accomplishment of having finished the post overrides all the prior inconveniences. And the feeling of creating something original and interesting so inspires, that I actually start the whole process again the next day!

UPDATE: Thanks to the anonymous reader who pointed out the (now corrected) typo - it was an hilarious coincidence, I agree!
UPDATE2: The reader is now identified - it's Black Mamba!!

70 comments:

  1. Arpit, you are an excellent writer, so keep up the great work.you should look into writing for the Hindu or Times of India. there are very few Indian bloggers and your sincere thoughts, vocabulary, humor and practicality will surely be well received in the educated community.
    So hope to see your name big and bold soon! Good luck! Suneeta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! This is a pretty good post for 4AM - atleast so FB says! And be assured, Amy has company - initally we protest the assaults on our dreamtime - later we just get used to giving approvals in sleep!
    And finally, comments make it all worthwhile - much better here than on FB, right?
    Keep writing, I enjoyed reading it as much as I presume you must have posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a lovely post:) So well written!!Glad to read it first thing in the morning as soon as I reached office!

    You have skillfully transformed you brain into bytes!:) Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. superliked today's blog..........very interesting, innovative and original. Even though my heart goes out to amy whose has to wake up to approve it.......but the moral is "Behind every successful man is a great woman"
    Keep up the good job Arpit.

    Regards,
    Anamika

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That was great. Enjoyed every word. Keep writing. You bring hope and cheer through your words. It is good Amy has mastered the art of approving in her sleep. We love you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha ha! I had a good laugh. But seriously??? You wake her up from sleep? LOL!

    I can only imagine the cold. I worked in Ooty for a year and a half and my best friend then was my warm duvet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like an electric blanket and a few heaters might not be amiss.

    On a more cruel note, the last line of paragraph 7 reads "I will waste a good topic with bad some bad writing or editing." Ironic, considering the context of the sentence. Time for proofreading no. 23......... lolz

    I love reading your blog AJM, and I agree - you do have a flair for writing. I only wish I could write half as well as you. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Arpit,
    Great post as usual.You have a fantastic flair for writing and it really shines through in your blogs.Enjoy your posts immensely. You should think about publishing a book and then write about writing a book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone - you are really kind. I tried to get a reply button so that I could reply individually to each comment, but didn't succeed. Each of your encouraging words is much appreciated. And to think I wrote this one because I was too tired to write something more serious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A very good post. Funny, and made an interesting read!

    Additionally, one thing I want to suggest is please don't delete posts that you have already written. Let it sit on the dashboard as a draft and do revisit it some other day - say a week or so. You would surely churn it better during your second visit. New ideas and better judgement would naturally follow. Half of my posts are revisited material of this kind. Also, another important experience I would like to share here is, we would never be able to guess what interests the reader and what doesn't. The most boring post (per our view) may get the most pleasing feedback (and most votes on indiblogger ;-).
    I did experience this quite a few times. Varied people with varied interests - that's make it difficult for us to judge our pieces so accurately.

    Do keep blogging

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting and impressive ........

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Victor and Team. Appreciate your advice Victor. There's a good chance my dashboard will get jammed though!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. 1st time here... liked the way you have narrated the whole episode... still thinking to whom i should give more credit....to you or to your better half... :)
    will come again to go through ur previous post !
    ”Bapu and violence”

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're most welcome, AJM. If it were a picture, you could add it to 'the Sign Post'.


    - The Black Mamba

    ReplyDelete
  15. Irfan, most credit is due to the better half - I am just the scribe in many cases!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hilarious post! Btw, in the Shillong cold, why bother to get out from under the covers for a blog post when you can just take the laptop under the covers with you? :) Though you will need a huge blanket. Hopefully no one will get scared seeing a mountain of blanket being illuminated from the inside (by the light from the laptop screen)... I have to agree that the best hours for a blog post are when the whole house is asleep and when we can think without any distractions :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pretty section of content. I just stumbled upon your blog and in accession capital to assert that I acquire actually enjoyed account your blog posts.
    Any way I will be subscribing to your feeds and even I achievement you access consistently
    quickly.

    Review my webpage - nfl jerseys cheap

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi i am kavin, its my first time to commenting anyplace,
    when i read this post i thought i could also create comment
    due to this brilliant paragraph.

    Review my webpage - http://wealthwayonline.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi i am kavin, its my first time to commenting anyplace, when i read
    this post i thought i could also create comment due
    to this brilliant paragraph.

    my web-site http://wealthwayonline.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally,
    it seems as though you relied on the video to make your point.
    You obviously know what youre talking about, why waste your intelligence on just posting
    videos to your weblog when you could be giving us something informative to read?



    My site: Mario Lemieux Black Jersey

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like the valuable info you provide in your articles.
    I will bookmark your blog and check again here frequently. I am quite certain I'll learn plenty of new stuff right here! Good luck for the next!

    Feel free to surf to my homepage - NFL Jerseys Wholesale

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fastidious respond in return of this question with firm arguments and explaining the whole thing on the
    topic of that.

    Stop by my website: Cheap NFL Jerseys

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi, yeah this piece of writing is actually fastidious and I have
    learned lot of things from it on the topic of blogging. thanks.


    My webpage :: Gucci Ufficiale

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for any other informative blog. Where else could I get that type of information written in
    such an ideal means? I've a mission that I am simply now operating on, and I have been on the glance out for such info.

    Feel free to visit my page Michael Kors Bags

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew of any
    widgets I could add to my blog that automatically tweet my newest twitter updates.
    I've been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this. Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.

    Also visit my homepage Converse

    ReplyDelete
  26. An intriguing discussion is definitely worth comment.

    I think that you need to publish more about this issue,
    it may not be a taboo subject but usually folks don't talk about such topics. To the next! Best wishes!!

    Feel free to surf to my page ... Abercrombie Brussel

    ReplyDelete
  27. hello there and thank you for your info – I have definitely picked up something new from right here.
    I did however expertise a few technical points using this site, as I experienced to reload the site many times previous to I could
    get it to load correctly. I had been wondering if your web hosting is
    OK? Not that I'm complaining, but slow loading instances times will very frequently affect your placement in google and can damage your high quality score if advertising and marketing with Adwords. Anyway I'm adding this RSS to my email and can look out for
    a lot more of your respective interesting content.
    Ensure that you update this again soon.

    my web site: Michael Kors Bags

    ReplyDelete
  28. You can certainly see your enthusiasm in the work you write.

    The arena hopes for more passionate writers like you who aren't afraid to mention how they believe. At all times follow your heart.

    Feel free to visit my web blog explorethecapabilities.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Useful information. Fortunate me I found your web site accidentally, and I
    am stunned why this twist of fate didn't took place in advance! I bookmarked it.

    Feel free to surf to my blog post: More Info

    ReplyDelete
  30. Remarkable! Its truly awesome paragraph, I have got much clear idea regarding from this piece of writing.


    Here is my blog post :: Cheap Jerseys

    ReplyDelete
  31. What's up everyone, it's my first go to see at this web page, and paragraph is actually fruitful designed for me,
    keep up posting these posts.

    Look at my blog: Abercrombie France

    ReplyDelete
  32. Genuinely when someone doesn't be aware of after that its up to other people that they will help, so here it takes place.

    Feel free to surf to my web page :: Jordan Femme

    ReplyDelete
  33. I am regular visitor, how are you everybody? This article posted at this
    web site is in fact pleasant.

    Also visit my page: Louis Vuitton Handbags

    ReplyDelete
  34. It is in reality a great and useful piece of information.
    I'm glad that you simply shared this useful info with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thank you for sharing.

    Feel free to visit my website: Mulberry Outlet UK

    ReplyDelete
  35. I am regular reader, how are you everybody? This piece of writing posted at this website is
    truly nice.

    Also visit my web site - air max one

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It in fact was
    a amusement account it. Look advanced to more added agreeable
    from you! By the way, how could we communicate?


    Here is my blog post: Evgeni Malkin Authentic Jersey

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hey there this is somewhat of off topic but I was
    wanting to know if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you have to manually code
    with HTML. I'm starting a blog soon but have no coding expertise so I wanted to get guidance from someone with experience. Any help would be enormously appreciated!

    My web-site: Abercrombie & Fitch

    ReplyDelete
  38. Nice post. I learn something totally new and
    challenging on websites I stumbleupon everyday.
    It will always be interesting to read through content from other authors and use a little something from their websites.


    Feel free to surf to my site; Cheap Louis Vuitton Handbags

    ReplyDelete
  39. Aw, this was a very nice post. Taking the time and actual effort
    to produce a very good article… but what can I say… I
    hesitate a whole lot and never seem to get anything done.



    Take a look at my blog :: Louis Vuitton Handbags Outlet

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hey! This post could not be written any better!
    Reading this post reminds me of my old room mate! He always kept chatting about this.
    I will forward this post to him. Fairly certain he will have a good read.
    Many thanks for sharing!

    Feel free to surf to my weblog :: Michael Kors Outlet

    ReplyDelete
  41. We stumbled over here by a different website and thought I should check things out.
    I like what I see so i am just following you. Look forward
    to finding out about your web page yet again.

    Feel free to surf to my blog: Louis Vuitton Purses

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hello there, I discovered your website via Google even as searching for a similar subject,
    your site got here up, it appears to be like great.
    I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.
    Hi there, simply became aware of your weblog thru Google,
    and located that it's really informative. I'm going to watch out for brussels.
    I will be grateful in case you proceed this in future. Many other people will likely be benefited from your
    writing. Cheers!

    Also visit my blog ... http://www.tedxyse.com

    ReplyDelete
  43. I just could not leave your site prior to suggesting that I
    actually loved the usual information a person supply for your visitors?
    Is going to be again incessantly to check
    out new posts

    Take a look at my homepage: Sac A Main Louis Vuitton

    ReplyDelete
  44. Thanks for finally writing about > "The journey of a blog post" < Loved it!

    Feel free to surf to my webpage :: Louis Vuitton Bags

    ReplyDelete
  45. Howdy! I could have sworn I've visited this site before but after looking at many of the posts I realized it's new to me.
    Anyways, I'm certainly delighted I came across it and I'll be bookmarking it and
    checking back frequently!

    Here is my web blog; Solde Air Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  46. This site was... how do you say it? Relevant!! Finally I've found something which helped me. Cheers!

    My blog post :: article source

    ReplyDelete
  47. Right now it sounds like BlogEngine is the best blogging platform available
    right now. (from what I've read) Is that what you are using on your blog?

    Feel free to surf to my page - Gafas聽Oakley Baratas

    ReplyDelete
  48. The other day, while I was at work, my sister stole
    my iphone and tested to see if it can survive a 25 foot
    drop, just so she can be a youtube sensation. My iPad is
    now broken and she has 83 views. I know this is entirely off topic but I had to share it with
    someone!

    Here is my page; Cheap Jerseys

    ReplyDelete
  49. Do you have a spam issue on this blog; I also am a blogger, and I was wondering your situation;
    we have created some nice procedures and we are looking to trade methods with other folks, be
    sure to shoot me an email if interested.

    Here is my blog post :: pegasusnetworks.de

    ReplyDelete
  50. Right here is the right site for everyone who hopes to find
    out about this topic. You know so much its almost tough to argue with
    you (not that I personally will need to…HaHa).

    You definitely put a fresh spin on a subject which has been written about for a long time.
    Wonderful stuff, just excellent!

    Feel free to visit my homepage - Tory Burch Flats

    ReplyDelete
  51. This is a topic which is close to my heart... Cheers!

    Exactly where are your contact details though?

    Take a look at my web site; related site

    ReplyDelete
  52. My brother recommended I may like this web site.

    He was entirely right. This publish actually made my day.
    You cann't believe just how a lot time I had spent for this info! Thanks!

    My homepage :: Sac Louis Vuitton Pas Cher

    ReplyDelete
  53. Right away I am ready to do my breakfast, after having my
    breakfast coming again to read other news.



    Here is my page next page

    ReplyDelete
  54. I absolutely love your blog.. Great colors & theme.
    Did you make this website yourself? Please reply back as I'm wanting to create my very own website and want to learn where you got this from or just what the theme is called. Appreciate it!

    Feel free to surf to my web-site :: Read Full Article

    ReplyDelete
  55. This design is spectacular! You most certainly know how to keep a
    reader entertained. Between your wit and your videos, I was almost
    moved to start my own blog (well, almost...HaHa!)
    Great job. I really loved what you had to say, and more than
    that, how you presented it. Too cool!

    Also visit my web-site :: Nike Free 5.0

    ReplyDelete
  56. I like what you guys are up too. Such clever work and coverage!

    Keep up the great works guys I've added you guys to blogroll.

    Here is my weblog: Boutique Air Max

    ReplyDelete
  57. Heya i'm for the primary time here. I found this board and I find It really useful & it helped me out much. I am hoping to offer one thing back and aid others such as you helped me.

    Here is my page Air Max Femme

    ReplyDelete
  58. Hi, this weekend is good for me, as this time i am reading this fantastic informative piece of writing here at my
    house.

    my weblog Nike Air Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  59. My spouse and I absolutely love your blog and find nearly all of your post's to be just what I'm looking for.
    can you offer guest writers to write content to suit your needs?

    I wouldn't mind writing a post or elaborating on a number of the subjects you write in relation to here. Again, awesome web site!

    Feel free to visit my web-site ... Read Full Article

    ReplyDelete
  60. This is a topic which is near to my heart... Cheers! Where are your contact details though?


    Here is my blog: Christian Louboutin UK

    ReplyDelete
  61. I always used to read piece of writing in news papers but now as
    I am a user of net so from now I am using net for content,
    thanks to web.

    Look into my homepage; Nike Free Run

    ReplyDelete
  62. My brother recommended I might like this blog. He was
    totally right. This post truly made my day. You can not
    imagine just how much time I had spent for this info!
    Thanks!

    Look at my page; Sac Louis Vuitton Pas Cher

    ReplyDelete
  63. I am in fact grateful to the holder of this
    web site who has shared this fantastic piece of writing at at this time.


    my homepage :: Michael Kors

    ReplyDelete
  64. I do not even know how I finished up right here, but I believed this put
    up was great. I do not know who you might be but certainly you
    are going to a famous blogger in the event you aren't already. Cheers!

    Also visit my page; Chaussure De Foot Pas Cher

    ReplyDelete
  65. Hello, its fastidious piece of writing about media print, we all be aware of media
    is a enormous source of data.

    Look at my blog post: Air Jordan Pas Cher

    ReplyDelete
  66. I drop a comment whenever I like a post on a blog or I have
    something to contribute to the conversation. It's triggered by the passion displayed in the article I looked at. And on this article "The journey of a blog post". I was actually excited enough to leave a thought :) I do have a couple of questions for you if it's allright.
    Is it only me or does it seem like some of the responses look as
    if they are written by brain dead visitors? :-P And, if you
    are writing on other online social sites, I would like to keep up with anything fresh you have to post.
    Would you make a list all of all your communal sites like your Facebook page,
    twitter feed, or linkedin profile?

    Also visit my homepage; stiletto beats

    ReplyDelete
  67. We are a gaggle of volunteers and starting a brand new scheme in our community.

    Your site offered us with helpful information to work on.
    You have performed a formidable job and our whole community will
    be thankful to you.

    My web page - Air Max (overuc.com)

    ReplyDelete
  68. Your method of describing the whole thing in this piece of writing is in fact fastidious, all be
    able to without difficulty understand it, Thanks a lot.



    Here is my page :: Louis Vuitton Bags Outlet

    ReplyDelete
  69. Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It in fact was
    a amusement account it. Look advanced to far added agreeable from you!
    By the way, how can we communicate?

    Also visit my blog :: Nike Black Blazers

    ReplyDelete
  70. Hi to every one, since I am truly keen of reading this webpage's post to be updated regularly. It consists of pleasant information.

    Feel free to surf to my web page: Nike Pas Cher

    ReplyDelete