Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Egypt burning

The news of the unrest in Egypt has been on my mind for some time, but I have not had time to write about it. Then I saw this video one of my cousins posted on his blog (remember that now we have a total of 40 first cousins - 39 on Amy's side and 1 on mine!!). Thanks Flyboy!


After I saw the video, I realised there was not much more to be said. Just a prayer that good sense will prevail and there will be no needless violence. That the man who has ruled Egypt with an iron fist for 30 years will finally give in to the cry of his people for freedom and their rights. And it occurred to me that these unbelievable scenes would have been unthinkable just a month ago. It took one act by a simple fruit seller to spark an inferno in Tunisia that then spilled over onto the streets of Egypt! I read one article where the commentator wondered if this was going to have a ripple effect in the many Arab and African countries where human rights have not exactly been much of a concern for many years and many governments. But then, another, sadder thought that struck me. I have seen very similar scenes in clippings from Kashmir. And places in the North East. And Telengana. How easy it is to watch from afar and comment on such things when they happen far from home. And how easy to forget that in many parts of our country, there are people who have the same concerns as the Egyptians. There is much wrong that needs to be righted right here in our backyard. And so I pray for the people of Egypt. That their cry for freedom will not go unheard. And I also pray for my own land. And for many others in different parts for whom the freedoms that I enjoy are but a distant dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment