Saturday, February 26, 2011

Linkorama 26/2/11

Today is a great day! I get to see my sweet wife again after a whole week today! I missed her soooooo much............ (Now that should be good for a few brownie points!!) Actually, I did really miss her - there are 3 posts in the pipeline that are waiting for her approval! I got by so far by calling her and asking her to check right after I posted it. But that doesn't work when she's travelling - more's the pity!! Well, I guess they'll just have to wait till Monday. But on to the links.

YOU HAVE GOT TO TRY THIS: Go to the bottom of your facebook page, click on the blue letters that say English (US or UK depending on your intellect!) and change your language to English (Pirate). Don't worry, this is not a hoax - it's just really cool!! Thanks Pradeep for the tip.

THE MOST DANGEROUS PLACE FOR AN AFRICAN-AMERICAN BABY: This billboard has been creating a lot of controversy in New York. But it does bring out a disturbing fact. Read about it here. (HT:Z)

BABY OR FETUS: This article responds to criticism for an article on fetal surgery entitled  'Surgery can help babies with Spina Bifida'. A responder believes the correct terminology should have been 'Fetuses with Spina Bifida'. I quote from the response - A person is a person, no matter how small........

PROVOKING CHILDREN TO ANGER: I don't have children yet, but I can understand how some of the things mentioned are exactly what I would do if I did have children. Read the post here. For the lazy ones (or the busy ones) some of the ways mentioned are
- By constantly criticizing them and not encouraging them. When they feel they can never please us enough.

- By having double standards – Do as I say, not as I do. Expecting them to do things we don’t do, e.g. ask forgiveness, humble themselves, etc.
- By comparing them to others (Why can’t you act like your sister?)
- By hypocrisy – acting like a Christian at church but not at home
- By embarrassing them (correcting, mocking or expressing disappointment in them in front of others)
- By always lecturing them and never listening to them
- By failing to ask their forgiveness when we sin against them
- By pride – failing to receive humble correction from our spouses or our children when we sin.
- By self-centered reactions to their sin (How could you do this to ME?)
- By ungracious reactions to their sin (What were you thinking? Why in the world would you do that?)
- By forgetting that we were (and are) sinners (I would NEVER have done that when I was your age).
But do read the whole post - there are many more and after all, it's the weekend.

FREE RUNNING: I had posted earlier about free running. This is one of the extreme examples of it. Scary.....

THESE GUYS SHOULD BE IN THE OLYMPICS: Isn't it sad that there are so many unsung heroes in our country who would have made a lot of money and fame with their talent had they been born anywhere else. I hope our sports administrators in the next generation will change things.

4 comments:

  1. AJM, I was writing the last comment in such a hurry that I accidentally typed my name at the bottom. Realised at the last minute!

    Phew! That was close. (Wipes brow)

    - The Black Mamba

    ReplyDelete
  2. And now that comment has disappeared. Strange. Ok, here we go again.

    This is a link I found that was very amusing and I immediately thought of you, AJM. Even you should find this funny.

    http://www.godvine.com/Hilarious-and-Unique-Signs-Outside-of-Church-262.html

    Didn't know where to post it but realised that this is probably more appropriate than the toilet humour section.

    - The Black Mamba

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link TBM - it will be the next sign post if I can figure out how to put the video onto the blog. As for your near slip-up, I guess I'm glad in a way - like I said, an anti-climax would be disappointing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. Apologies for the link disappearing - hopefully that stuff should reduce now with the new comments format - which hopefully is easier too

    ReplyDelete