Monday, February 28, 2011

Linkorama 28/2/11

What a humdinger it was yesterday! At the World Cup I mean! Unfortunately, given my usual luck with these things I was travelling. Sigh. Fortunately, my dear mother gave me a running commentary of the last 3 overs via cell phone! Considering we could have lost it, I guess a tie is fair enough. I just hope it's not the end of Dhoni's streak....... Well, so much for cricket - on to the links.

THE DOWNSIDE OF PLAYING AND WATCHING SPORTS: This post looks at the data available on the toll sports takes on kids who play them as well as those of us who watch. Fortunately there isn't much to go on! The results may be scary!!

THE ANSWER TO THE AGE-OLD QUESTION: How do you make a child enjoy vegetables? Well, according to this study, bribe them! (HT: Fknomics)

WHY CHILDREN BECOME BULLIES: Another study suggests that if children feel they are not getting enough time and attention from parents then those feelings have to go somewhere and it appears in interaction with their peers. They found, surprisingly, that it was not when the mother worked that the children were affected but it was when fathers worked full time or overtime and children perceived that they did not spend enough time with their fathers, that bullying behavior increased. Scary stuff.........

SPARE A THOUGHT FOR CALVIN'S DAD: I want a copy of that book of his!!

AND ON A MUCH SWEETER NOTE: Here are some sweet stories from Nanma - thanks Deepa for sharing them - she is loved all over the internet.

OUT OF THE MOUTHS OF BABES INDEED: This video posted by my friend Benji Ross will bring a smile to you face for sure.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking up to my blog. Wait till you hear of how Nanma disciplined her teddybear yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds hilarious - looking forward to it!!

    ReplyDelete