Saturday, April 16, 2011

How jobless am I?!!

Recently I met an old friend of mine. After we had caught up on all that had been happening since we last met, he said - I hear you write a blog very regularly. Of course, I perked up a lot at this and putting on (what I hope is) my most modest expression, I said - Well, not all that regularly, but yes. He then put on his advisory face (being old friends gives him that privilege, I guess!!) and said - Yes, I wanted to tell you that you should not write everyday. It will appear to everyone that you are jobless!!

You can imagine my chagrin!! So much for the compliments I was expecting! But he certainly did have a point - something which I have heard from a few people in the past as well. And so I began to consider if I was really as jobless as I was accused of being!

And as I examined the extent of joblessness of my life, I realised that our state of mind is what determines how 'busy' we are. In fact, my father, who is probably my greatest inspiration, does not believe in using the word 'busy'. He prefers to call himself 'pleasantly occupied' even when his life runs at a pace most of us would be totally unable to handle! And I guess that's what I would call myself too. It does not matter that work begins at half past 7 and often ends after 9 or 10 at night. Nor that during that time, the only real break will be when we gobble down the Maggi or poori that suffices for lunch. For at the end of the day, as I have said before, the tiredness melts away into a feeling of being happy and fulfilled. And this provides enough energy to sit at the computer and hack away at a post without pausing to consider either my 'tiredness' or that someone out there will think I have too much time on my hands!! Blogging is a relaxation, it is true. And if the price I have to pay for a blog post is for my friends to think I am jobless, well, so be it!! And to those of you kind enough to read and respond, thank you - it means a lot.

P.S. Apologies for the 'rant' once again!!

3 comments:

  1. So true, so be it!

    I hear from my stay-at-home-mom friends constantly as to how I am managing a fulltime job, three kids, a clean home and still find time to blog. I honestly don't know how to answer them. I mostly try to explain it somehow... But lately I only smile and leave it at that...

    So be it! Well said.

    Hey guys, I am going to share your link with my Mom. If you notice extra traffic from the South, it must be her...

    Keep sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the comment above mine. Most of my blogs are written on my busiest days!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to know there are some fellow bloggers out there who understand my angst! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete